Saturday, January 06, 2007

The way we were

I took a ridiculous amount of pictures this Christmas. Over 300 in the month of December...and I had misplaced my camera for 2 weeks in the middle.

Part of it was that my parents handed off the torch. My mother decided she would no longer be bustling around us all Christmas morning, trying to get a good shot of us opening a present, barely sitting her own self and hardly ever being in a picture. Nope, she wanted to enjoy her grandson uninterrupted so it fell to me. It was really exciting have such an active role in the festivities, kind of like when as a kid you got to pick the presents out from underneath the tree and hand them out to everyone. Also, pictures from Christmas have always been a prominent part of the yearly albums my mom always put together so it felt important to make sure it was properly documented.

Part of the massive amount of pictures is just the digital age...you just keep shooting pictures because you can judiciously edit later. But I've recently realized that part of it for me is that I am terrified I will loose all the little moments in between that big ones. Will is changing so much every day and in the 10 pictures I have of him playing piano with his Papa I see different expressions, angles of his face, motions, and emotions.

I am having difficulty judiciously editing because I am afraid I will forget one of those angles, one of those expressions without them.

In any case, I should be finished soon and have 8 gagillion pictures up on flickr...and another 8 gagillion in my head.

No comments: