Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Must be something in the Water here

So, um, I guess I need to stop referring to the baby as "she" in my head. We are now 6-0 in favor of boys among our local group of friends. We've got all we need for starters on a basketball team, plus a 6th man.

Had the big ultrasound yesterday and follow up this morning. Everything looks good and healthy and male.

I wish I could say that I felt overwhelming excitement when I heard that he was going to be a he, that the heavens opened up and angels extolled the virtues of having two boys in 4 part harmony…but I can’t tell you that. Disappointed is not at all the right word. Surprised maybe? I really thought that I was having a girl…and I don't think I hid the fact that I thought that would be pretty cool. But, as my close friends can attest, I have always kind of pictured myself herding a bunch of boys around.

I think the thing that makes me a little sad (read: little sad, NOT disappointed) is that I have such an amazing relationship with my own mother. And it makes me a little sad that I won't get to experience that kind of relationship from her end with my own daughter. That and I kind of love little-girl ponytails and am mildly obsessed with baby-legs. I think I would be a really good mother to a girl and I'm sad that I won't get to find out if that is true.

That said, I happen to think I am also a pretty good mother to boys as well. I read something on a blog some time ago (can't remember which one) and the writer was talking about finding out that her second was going to be a boy. I had jotted it down at the time and changed it a bit this morning to make it my own: I think maybe I'll be one of those moms who herds her boys with an endless supply of hugs and cuddles (but still a strong hand). And that I will teach my boys to love music and to swim and bake and watch football and love books and do elaborate science projects at the age of 8. And all the girls they ever meet will be blown away by their strength and sensitivity. And that would be pretty cool as well.

p.s. I kind of like the sound of "my boys".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I seem to remember a little voice calling me a little over three years ago telling me she didn't know how to "do boys" and that I was going to have to move to Portland to help her raise her then in-utero son. My how things change. I'll buy you some pink ribbons if you want. A

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Em. You know, while ponytails and dresses are pretty cute, it puts a smile on my face to imagine 2 brothers who have learned to become fine men cuz their big-hearted, strong-willed, unconditionally lovin' mama raised 'em right.