Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I'm sure no one told me...

Being a parent is tough.


I love it, but making the shift from "The one who feeds, clothes, changes and loves the baby" to "the one disciplines, teaches and gives time-outs to the toddler" is much harder than I realized.


Will is barreling into the terrible two's with a fantastic force.

Until now I had no idea that a person could simultaneously relax every muscle in their entire body and suddenly collapse into a pile of screamy, whiney fanstasticness in 2 seconds or less...in the middle of frozen food aisle. Yep, I am now "That Mom". You know the one, the one all the single people look at and think "good lord, why can't that woman just control her child?" and shake their head as they try and extricate themselves from the aisle where said tantrum is happening. I was once one of those single, childless people with the head shaking and the good-lording. If only I could go back and slap some sense into myself.

But you see, the thing about toddlers is that they are also really damn cute.


And sweet natured (at times when they are well fed and have gotten lots of sleep) and amazing and give you looks that make melt and want to give them anything in the world...

They are learning so fast that their poor little bodies can hardly keep up with it. You can hardly blame them when they get so frustrated that you don't understand that "gercklye" yelled 100 times with increasing intensity means "water" that they start throwing all food and any other object in a 4 foot radius at you (go-go gadget arms!)...can you?

No comments: