Thursday, June 21, 2007

Namaste Bitches!

I keep sitting down to write, and start and then get pulled into different directions. It's been a busy couple of weeks, at work, with family and with friends. I have company coming into town tonight(Which I am SO freakin' excited about!), we had Father's Day last week, work has been full of new projects, spreadsheets and clients. I feel our little family has been going every single minute of every day of the last couple of weeks. We finally started a "Family Calendar" because we just couldn't keep track of everything and it is really funny to look at. It's packed! Which, honestly, I love. I love moving like this and doing and seeing and going. But, it's hard to find time for just being in all of it.

Which is one reason I am so excited about the new Yoga class I am taking. The majority of my experience with yoga has been via DVD and a couple of poorly chosen yoga "sessions" at the mega gym that I go to. The "sessions" were a little more "We do YOGA BITCHES!" than I really wanted. Also, at this point, the yoga Will has been learning at school has already surpassed what I know from the DVDs -and let's face it, they are most pregnancy yoga dvds anyway. I have been wanting to learn more, I think it would be good for my hip and also my head. I feel like such a fake midwesterner whenever I start to talk about the psychological benefits of meditation, but whatever. My parents already make fun of me for that and the tofu that I now eat, so be it.

This class though? It is fantastic. Where the one at the mega gym was all "FEEL the BURN! How deep can you STRETCH?!?" shouted over a headset with music pumping, this was more like being gently placed in a warm bathtub of happiness and lavender scented oils and maybe there being some movement involved. Needless to say, it was great experience and I can't wait to go back. Two interesting observations: 1) Despite feeling like my heart rate actually lowered for an hour and a half and that all I had done was some gentle stretching, the next morning I totally felt like I got my ass kicked, so that was cool. and b) It is REALLY hard for me to meditate for 5 minutes. I was doing beginner level where all I had to do was focus on my breathing...I'm a singer, I should totally be able to do that. It's kind of sad that how hard it really is to get your mind to slow down for just 5 minutes out of your day. I have GOT to work on that.

No comments: