Saturday, April 14, 2007

Bits and Pieces

So, it's 1:00 am. I've been exhausted for two days, and for some reason can NOT get to sleep tonight. So I've given up trying for a little while. Brewed a pot of herbal tea, put on some Bach and am getting caught up on my blog reading. And I kinda realized I also needed to get a little caught up on my blog writing as well.

Will is a funny kid. Seriously, I realize that every parent says things like this and I know that I have said this about every stage that he has gone through...but 2 1/2 is a shitload of fun. He has started talking...and I don't mean one or two word sentences here or there, I mean TALKING. As a friend put it recently, whenever I tell her what Will is saying/doing she pictures him talking in all caps with lots of exclamation points. And it is so dead on. So here are some fun Will stories from the week:

1) Back when Will was still not liking me very much (last week actually) I decided to use the situation to my advantage rather than take his 2 1/2 year old fickleness personally. Dan and I were trying to get him ready for an outing and I was putting his shoes on:
Will: Daddy! Daddy Daaaadddyyy! I only want Daddy I can't stand being touched by you, you evil, mean mama. (ok, so the last part I made up)
Me: Will, is Daddy your favorite?
Will: YEAH!!!
Me: Do you like Daddy more than Mama?
Will: yah (this would have been "um, duh mom" if he was 5 years older)
Me: (slyly checking out the massively dirty diaper he is sporting) Will, do you want Daddy to change your diaper?
Will: YEAH! Daddy change diaper!! Mama no change Diaper. daddydaddydaddy!!!
Dan: Seriously?

2) Will's school was closed on Monday for "teacher training". Personally, I think they just wanted the day off...or they were meeting to see if the staff could figure out who all works there now. Because as parents we can barely keep track of who is currently employed there due to all of the staff turnover, I'd be impressed if they could. In any case, I decided to have my own "Take your Child to work day". So Will and I took Dan into work and went and visited all of Daddy's friends at work. We have visited Dan's work with some frequency so he is pretty comfortable there. At one point he was running up and down the hallway just walking into people's offices and trying to hide.
And then we stopped by my work...which we had never really done before. And Will had one of his "Shyness Attacks" where he buries his head in my neck and refuses to smile at, look at or speak to anyone. He warmed up to one of my co-workers but was particularly rough on Peter. He refused to have ANY contact with him for the 20 minutes we were there and kind of looked like he was on the verge of tears every time Peter looked at him. However, the entire ride home? "Where'd Peter go? Where's Peter? Bye-Bey Peter! BYE BYE PETER!" and then I reminded him that Peter was married to mama's friend Kimberly. "oooo, yah! Peter married Kim-bah-lee! KIM-BAH-LEE!!! Peter and Kim-bah-lee come to Will's house! Ok mama? MAMA? Come to house!!" Couldn't stop talking about it all.the.way.home.

3)Earlier this week I had a problem with one of my eyelids...nothing serious just something that made my eyelid swell up to a pretty fantastic size. So when I woke up Wednesday morning I said to Dan and Will that I was going to go to the doctor because my eye hurt. About a hour later we were talking with Will about how he was going to grandma and bapa's house today and he said "Mama going to Doctor because her eye hurts. Ouch! Kisses Mama? Kisses make it all better". You know, which made me totally melt, and holy shit that was a lot of words.
Later Dan picked him up at his parents and Will told him again that I had gone to the Dr. and that the Doctor had said to mama "no more monkey's jumping on the bed!" I love how this kid's head works sometimes.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

HI WILL!!!!

Kim-bah-lee and Peter want to visit with you soon- just as soon as I finish this big, bad, paper.

Peter said...

I AM a big scary person - he's probably permanently traumatized by the way I carved up that pig in your back yard.